02 Mar Top 10 Cigar Packaging Design Trends in 2023
After attending the Total Product Expo 2023 (TPE23) in Las Vegas, NV, I’m excited to share with you the top 10 cigar packaging design trends for 2023. The packaging of a cigar is as important as the cigar itself, and with these new design trends, cigar packaging has taken a new turn in the world of luxury and elegance.
- Minimalism: Less is more, and simplicity is key in 2023. Clean lines, sleek fonts, and minimal designs will be a popular trend, with a focus on luxury materials and finishes. As is the case with the packaging design for the Room 101 Cigars ANNV Series.
- Texture: Textured finishes and materials like wood, leather, and embossed paper will add a tactile element to cigar packaging, making it more engaging and appealing to the senses. Like the paper wrapped packaging on the new H. Upmann 1844 Special Edition Barbier.
- Bold Typography: Bold typography with unique fonts and colors will catch the eye of the consumer and make the packaging stand out on the shelf. A good example of this is The Big Payback Nicaragua from Room 101 Cigars.
- Monochromatic Colors: Monochromatic color schemes in shades of black, white, and gray will be a popular trend in 2023. This sleek and modern look is perfect for luxury cigars. Like the packaging design for Black Label Trading Co.
- Artistic Designs: Hand-drawn illustrations, watercolors, and other artistic designs will be used to add a personal and creative touch to cigar packaging. Like the one seen on the inside box lid of the new Alec & Bradley Gatekeeper Limited Edition Diamond Press.
- Magnetic Box Lid: Magnetic closing box lids, although not a new feature on cigar boxes, are making a comeback in 2023. This style creates sleeker box fronts since clasps are not front and centered between the box lid and body of the cigar box. This type of closing mechanism can be seen on the new Romeo Y Julieta Envy cigar box.
- Vintage Designs: A throwback to the past, vintage-inspired cigar packaging will feature retro fonts, classic images, and nostalgic colors. As is the case with the new VegaFina Classic Year of the Rabbit 2023, a Chinese theme inspired design.
- Sustainability: In 2023, eco-friendly packaging materials and designs will be on the rise. Consumers are becoming more conscious of their environmental impact, and cigar packaging is no exception. As is the case with the new Green Telephone Booth from J. London Cigars.
- Metallics: Shiny metallic finishes and accents will add a touch of glamor and luxury to cigar packaging, making it stand out on the shelf. As is the case with the new $5,000 humidor from Altadis, Montecristo 1935 Anniversary Nicaragua – Tesoro de Oro.
- Geometric Patterns: Geometric patterns and shapes will be a popular design trend in 2023. Bold and modern, these patterns will add a unique and stylish touch to cigar packaging. As is the case with the new packaging designs being rolled out by Asylum Cigars. Their Asylum13boxes feature a geometric skull pattern on the front of the boxes.
I hope that you found this list of the top 10 cigar packaging design trends for 2023 informative and helpful. As always, I strive to bring you the latest and greatest in the world of cigars as it relates to cigar packaging design, and I look forward to sharing more exciting news and updates with you soon.
Creative Director / Cigar Package Design